Reuven Rivlin’s Four Tribes Speech
Israel’s 10th president, Reuven (Ruvi) Rivlin, gave a speech in 2015 as a call to Israeli society that later became known as the “The Four Tribes Speech.” In his speech, Rivlin outlined four key sectors or “tribes” that comprise Israeli society: secular Jews, national religious orthodox Jews, ultra-orthodox Jews, and Arabs. He urged Israelis to not let these sectors remain disconnected. Rivlin expressed that unity and full integration of all Israel’s sectors into its society and economy is the necessary/best/only path forward for Israel.
AS YOU WATCH THE VIDEO, CONSIDER:
- Do you personally fit into any of these groups?
- Some have suggested that there are actually five sectors and Diaspora Jews are missing. Does adding the fifth group change anything for you in the way that you understand these distinctions?
- What do you think about the premise that staying distinct is not good for Israel? What are the benefits of these sectors interacting more with each other?
HAMSA ALEINU PHOTOGRAPH EXHIBITION
The Hamsa Aleinu exhibition was created by Beit HaNasi—The Office of the President of the State of Israel and its flagship program “Israeli Hope,” in partnership with Vibe Israel, an organization that specializes in storytelling around Israel. The exhibition showcased the many creative partnerships that exist within Israeli society and the sense of mutual responsibility felt between Israelis and Jewish people around the world. Each photograph tells a real story, one unfolding in Israel every day—mostly far from the media’s spotlight.
These stories and the many many more like them, are the sparks that result from bold, new, and innovative partnerships between and among Israel’s different groups and communities. Taken together, they represent not only the indomitable Israeli spirit, but also the joy, curiosity, vitality, and creativity that flow from the encounter and cooperation between all of us.
“Israeli Hope” was a program for strengthening and establishing the partnership between the various groups comprising Israeli society and represents the practical application of his call to action in the “The Four Tribes Speech.” The photos in the exhibition are also based on special narratives developed by Vibe Israel that showcase the uniqueness of Israeli society. The main narrative presented is an amazing kaleidoscope of different colors, backgrounds, traditions, and religions. The past, present, and future are fueled by cultural diversity and shared destiny. Israel is full of contrasts and its people, of all backgrounds and identities, are all part of the story!
AS YOU LOOK THROUGH THE PHOTOS, CONSIDER:
- Which photographs intrigue you? Surprise you?
- What stories do you think the photographs tell?
- Which photographs bring to mind a personal story that you can share about Israel?
- Which photographs raise questions for you?